Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jack's 2nd Birthday...

On May 9th, my oldest baby turned 2! In some ways, it is hard to believe he is so big and in others, it is hard to remember him being so small. He's such a little man now. Full of lots of thoughts and observations. Talking to him and listening to him all day is really fun! He's become my little bestie.


He started out the day super duper early for some reason---maybe he was excited about his birthday? Mommy doesn't get up at 5:30, so he got to play iPad in my bed for awhile while I took a little nap. Since the iPad is one of his most coveted activities and he's not allowed to use it very often, that made his day. I remembered to snap a picture with my phone, in order to keep my tradition of a picture when he first wakes up on his birthday.


Daddy went and got his favorite breakfast: doughnuts--with sprinkles! And we made it all fancy with a candle. I told him we could do anything he wanted to that day and he chose going to Grandma's house--which is what he asks for every day. She does have a fun house and he loves hanging with his uncles and Nen and Grandpa too! So we played at Grandma's and had mac and cheese for lunch--another favorite. Then he had a birthday nap! When Daddy got home we took him to Target to pick out a toy. He was in awe of the fact that he could get one. He wandered up and down the aisles saying "get this one. or this one." With some guidance from us, he chose two little construction vehicles---we have a whole fleet of them and they are the favorites of both boys.


Then we had his favorite dinner--nachos. Got to love that my go-to easy meal is his favorite! And then we went and got some "ice-beem" as he calls it and he was super excited that he got his own bowl and could pick the flavors and toppings. He had the grossest combination of things I've ever seen, but he loved it.


Since Jack's birthday was in the middle of the week, we had a celebration with my family on the following Sunday. Months before, I saw a pin of a bulldozer cake on Pinterest and I knew that that was Jack's cake. A "Bo-bo" cake, as he called it! (Sometimes he still asks for bo-bo cake.)



First we did some playing outside at Grandma's and feeding the chickens and goats. Jack loves feeding the animals and exploring the barnyard. Uncle Dut has taken him back there for adventures and taught him to carry around a stick to remind Bunny, the slightly crazy goat, who is boss if she tries to butt him. It's funny, she totally respects him and never messes with him when he has that stick. (Which I cannot say is the case for me. Which is why these pictures are on the other side of the fence. She's weird, I'm not a fan.)


And Grandpa always takes him to feed and put away the animals. A few weeks ago, he was back there while Grandpa was working on something in the barn and he left the door open and Jack decides to feed the chickens. He goes and finds a bucket, marches into the barn and finds the barrel with the chicken scratch and scoops some and goes out and throws it for them. Then he went back and did the same thing for the goats with their food!


 I need to get chickens while he thinks these chores are fun. I know from personal experience that the novelty wears off early!




I couldn't resist a picture of him and Auntie Nen. He misses her so much. He tells me every day that when he gets a little bit bigger he is going to go to Fiji with Nenny.


He is such a sweet boy. He has his two year old tantrum or disobedient moments, but he really is so sweet. He loves to cuddle and give me "nose kisses" and "regular kisses". He loves to read books and has memorized several and will randomly recite the entire book while he's playing. He sings our bedtime songs very loudly and off-key. He loves, loves cars and trucks and bulldozers and trains and any vehicle of any kind. One of his favorite shows is Mighty Machines on Netflix, which was from when I was a kid. He also loves Curious George--both the books and the show. Tyler and I are sick of the Curious George stories we have, we read them so often! He loves his brother. He calls him "Bummy," "Bummy-Bum," "Wi-am," "Wi-am John," and randomly the other day, "Bummy John." Poor Liam. What a nickname! They play together all the time--laying on the floor playing cars or duplos or trains or even swords. Liam wants to do whatever Jack does and Jack is very kind to him.


Lately he has begun to spontaneously pray for us. I was sick the other day and resting in bed and he came in and said "Dear Jesus, thank you for our bodies. Please help Mommy feel better. Amen." We had a scary choking incident with Liam recently where he swallowed a piece of plastic and was choking and throwing up stuff and we couldn't get it out for quite awhile and I was praying out loud as we tried to help him and Jack joined in, "Dear Lord, Thank you for Bummy choking..." I guess he takes how we are supposed to give thanks in all things seriously! :) I am so thankful to see God's grace in his little life. I know it is only by His work that Jack has interest in such things and we are praying that He continues to work in Jack's little heart and show him his need for a Savior!


And finally it was time for the long-awaited bo-bo cake! He did a great job blowing out his candles and he loved the Happy Birthday song. Unlike last year, where he cried when everyone sang. Our family's rendition of the birthday song really is pretty bad. Hopefully the boys take after Tyler in the singing department...



He always says, "Ummy, ummy!" And, thanks to his aunt, when he really likes something he says it makes him "Happy, happy, happy!"



And, to top it all off, he got a shiny red tricycle from Grandma and Grandpa, which he loves and calls his bike.




He loved his birthday so much that, even now, he asks when he can have it again. He also tries to trick us by telling us things like,  "I get a special treat, it my birthday." or "I don't take a nap, it my birthday." Oh, how I wish that actually worked. I would use that excuse too!

We love you so much, Jack-Jack!

1 comment:

Callie said...

I LOVE that picture of him with the donut. His face is so priceless!